Re: Scirocco on speedvision.

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:18:00 -0600 "Owen" <rabeys@cadvision.com> writes:

>Hey all, was anybody watching the scca run off's on saturday.  I havn't
>seen it yet, but my dad recorded it for me, i guess there was a mk2
>scirocco racing through the field.  once i'll see it, maybe i'll get
>it on a website.

I sure did! That little GT-4 MK-I Roc car was pretty impressive the way
he kept the Nissan 200SX behind him the entire race! (like 14th place or
something sad like that.)
Did you see when the Nissan got into the right rear of the Roc on the
right hander? Got him sideways and if you listened closely, all you heard
was WOT to keep in front of it and then pull away from the 200SX. Kinda
funny in a way because if it were a RWD car, he would of looped it fer
sure. it  had looked like the MK-I model only it was maybe a Porsche blue
or something like that. It was a solid light blue. I never did see how he
finished since they were intent on showing the 1st and 2nd place cars
plod around the track until it was over.

I think the best race was the Formula Vee's out there wheel to wheel,
close racing, lots of lead changes. 1 thru 15th place nose to tail. Now
THAT, was a race! The formula fords were pretty cool except for the guy
who walked away from the field. Zzzzz.

>Did anybody see the porsche 911 GT1 get airborne?  for anybody that
didn't
>see it, the porsche (most amazing car i've ever seen btw) comes over the
>crest of the hill, too close behind a WSC car, looses all downforce, and
>takes off.  kinda like one of those hydroplane accidents.  did a
complete
>flip and landed on its rear end.  pretty amazing.

That was wicked. I thought of the thunderboats right away. It was a
blowover all right! Damn, he got 25 feet in the air while doing 170, did
a full 360* loop and lost his front body work and went another 45* to
tear the engine and rear suspension off hte car as it slammed into the
ground. Then he slid into the left guardrail tagging the nose slightly
and came to a halt.
Brings back memories from the early 80's of, I think Sears point, when
the Audi's did the same thing comming up and over a hill. Since then they
added a chicane before the hill to keep it slower there.
I think this incident was solely related to him being so close to the car
in front and having zero downforce while comming up and over the little
rise.  That was one wild trip. Glad I wasnt him!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and