Re: Question about timing hole plug on the tranny...

Date:          Fri, 09 Oct 1998 14:40:02 -0400
To:            Ilias Glavinas <elias@tesla.wustl.edu>
From:          "John C. Worden" <scirocco@midmaine.com>
Subject:       Re: Question about timing hole plug on the tranny...
Cc:            scirocco-l@scirocco.org

At 12:28 PM 10/8/98 -0500, Ilias Glavinas wrote:

I bought a 27mm allen socket at a local forign auto store for like $7
it works great and you can also use it for the draing plug at the
bottom of the tranny(which is what I bought it for)
later
Tony

>I have an 85. The f&(*&# green fluorescent plug on the tranny will simply
>not come out (I have even started to chip it by trying to take it off).
>
>Luckily I have another plug from my (now dead) 9A tranny, however, I
>still have to take the other plug off, and I could by totally destroying
>it but then the pieces will fall inside the clutch area.
>
>I have decided to break down and buy a huge allen wrench to remove it.

I had this problem too.  Here's what I did(and it was cheaper too).  Buy a
bolt that has a head the size of the allen wrench you were going to buy.
Get one that is 3" or 4" long, and get the nut too.  Then weld the nut to
the end of the bolt, or if you don't have access to a welder drill a hole
through the nut and bolt and put in a roll pin.  Then put the one end into
the plug and with an ajustable wrench on the other it will come out.  I put
anti-sieze on it after it came out. Works good and will save you a few
bucks too.

Johnİİ '98  Dak cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue, Leer Classic tonneau,
İİİİİİİİİİİİİİ  Pioneer DEH-P85DHR, ventshades, headlight/tailight covers,
penda liner
İİİİİİİİİ '84İ Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
          '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)
- --

- --