Weird 8v wet weather start problem

First off, the car has the FI and ignition off an 85/86 GTi.  No
I didn't do it, so I can't say which computer it is.

Every time the weather gets REALLY wet, for example it rains, the
car will not start.  However unlike a problem with the cap and rotor,
this one sounds strange.  The battery seems to be dead!  The clock
gets reset, and it will not even click the starter.

I have not looked at the car yet.  I will see it this weekend.
Anyone with a good suggestion, email it to me at wahl@iwaynet.net

Guesses?  The car can have been sitting once the rain starts,
and will not start until 8-10 dry, non-humid hours go by.

Bad seal over the ignition computer?  Hall sender gets wet somehow?

I'm not even sure where to start.  Measuring all the grounds is my first task.
After that... ??? Ignition switch?  Fuse box, check if its wet? Bad seal
on windshield?  No ariel hole, so.. SIGH.

Help and advice wanted.

Ed

- --