Re: Xenon bulbs / U.S. spec lights

At 8:14 am -0700 8/10/98, Chris Chemidlin wrote:
>Those bulbs that you're calling the Xenon bulbs, are just normal bulbs
>with a bluish covering on them. My friend had a pair in his 16v for
>about 30 mins. before he took them out and gave them away. They do not
>promote better lighting, they actually make it worse.

Nope, not any more.  You can get bulbs from PIAA and probably just about
every other european bulb manufacturer than have xenon or some such gas
inside the bulb.  There's no coating, like on those cheap blue/yellow/green
lights you see on the rice cars.  They wont' fool anyone into believing you
have real HIDs but they do emit a bluer light than normal halogens.

BTW you can also get bulbs that emit whiter light by using filaments that
"glow" at a higher temperature.  PIAA makes a line of bulbs like this, and
it sounds like those "hyper white" bulbs that other people mentioned are
the same deal.

- --