Re: Buying a Scirocco... (Fake GTX)?

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was inquiring on buying a Scirocco, but
> there are things that I'm worried about on
> this certain one.
>
> It's an 84 GTX body, with a 91 16v engine, rebuilt
> at 12,000 kms. Euro Signals, shortened bumpers,
> fuba antenna, Leather interior, pw, pm, sunroof.
> It's all good, but the only thing that worries me
> in the 16v engine transfer. The guy who has it is
> a VW mechanic, so I would have more confidence in
> him than just some random person doing this. But
> I'm also missing all the refinements that a 16v has
> over an 8v, such as - Rear discs, Stress bars, skirts,
> etc...

So what is your concern?  that the car won't perform properly without these
bits?  They are really minor things you could add after you bought the car
anyway.

> He also a "Scirocco GTX" badge on the back, but I can
> tell it's not real, no euro bumpers, no euro lights.

Did he specifically say it was a GTX?  if he didn't, most people just have
that badge (myself included) for that extra euro touch.  if he said it is a
gtx imported from europe (for what reason i don't know), he would have to
take all the euro stuff off, and get the us spec stuff to have the car
legal here.  and i'm not aware of any scirocco GTX ever offered in north
america.  there was a scirocco GTI, but no GTX (anyone correct me if i'm
wrong)

Owen
87 16v
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1571