Re: [mk1][trans][install][help]

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:24:23 -0700 (PDT) "A. Bjorkheim"
<andreb@u.washington.edu> writes:

>  Any hints on how to get the tranny back into my 79?  I tried
>this evening by myself and I get the feeling it is a 2 man job.
>I couldnt get the tranny past the inside portion of the drivers
>side fender.  The tranny came out fine, just cant remeber how I
>got it out.  Any help would be appreciated...  TIA
>
> Andre'
> Neon Green 79

Being the big strong brute that I am, (PBBTH!!!) I just orient the diff
section of the tranny to point straight up. This helps with the ballance
of the tranny while you do your manly bench pressing of the trans back
into its home. Once you get it up and the shaft into the clutch, rotate
the tranny to its postion and quickly get a bolt in there.
Id love to tell you this is easy, but its not. If you dont get it in the
first try, pretty quick, the old muscles tend to give out and ive had a
tranny rest on my chest a couple times before  I finally got it in. I
think ive dont it enough times now that I can usually do it the first
time I try. Sucks when you can tho.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and