Re: [16v]drag times

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 11:59:33 -0400 "faust" <faust@gateway.net> writes:

>>The ET is totally separate from the RT.  You could have a 3 min RT
>>and still have a good ET.

And still lose the race.

>Not really.  An ET is an  ET.  It doesn't matter what your RT was
>unless you're up against another driver.  The fastest ET does not win
the
>race.

Right because its combined with your RT for your overall time.
Its the 1+1=2 theory.

>I look at this way:  Your ET is a measure of your best and a way to
>look at how you've improved individually.

No, that wound be your best way to measure how much better the car ran. I
guess you could figure into it your shifting points if this iswhat you
mean.

>Your RT is a measure of
>your ability to beat another drover in a drag (in bracket).

Not exactly the definition, but somewhat true. You can cut a perfect
light and still get waxed. I thought I already went over this stuff
recently but lets make another go of it since its so much fun.

Your RT is your time from when the lights turns GREEN, to the time you
leave the line. (When you turn off the second yellow light, the RT time
stops counting.) So in a way, you could say that the RT is your
competition with yourself. Its up to you to get off the line quickly.
This is why knowing exactly when to leave is important. Nobody I know
waits for the light to be green. Usually the last yellow is when
everybody launches off the line. Even the top fuel guys launch when the
lights are still yellow. (Tape it sometime and watch it in slow-mo.) This
info might of helped Ryan with his 1.1 RT. I think my first RT was a 1.8
with my 82 Rabbit (back in the day). Then a local racer told me about the
light thing which netted me a .6 Rt on my second ever run. Like anything
else in this world, it just takes practice.

When I drove the funnycar in Bakersfield one year (90' I think) I was in
a good rut running the same ET all the time. 8.502, 8.506, 8.503. So when
the finals came up, I knew that if the guy I ran was slower then 8.50, I
would win, right? OK, so I make my pass, look over at the time board
(Gotta look fast!) and saw the other guy ran a 8.51. WHOO-HOO, I WON!
Uh, no, he cut a light on me and beat me by .02 off the line. Not alot of
time when you think of it, but in the drag racing world, the time span
that he beat me by was alot of time.

So, if your out there to see what the car will run, RT doesnt count for a
whole lot. Its when you get competative when it all comes together as a
factor. RT, 60ft, 100ft, ET, it all matters wit the big boys but if your
doing it just for fun (Dont we all?) then its not that important.

<"For Fun" usually turns into competitiveness. Its a guy thing.>

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and