Mexican vs German

I think the Mexico JETTA III is on the way out!!!
It looks like the GOLF III will not  be in production in Mexico
for the 1999 model year. The JETTA III will be but not for long.
If you want a 2000 JETTA III they will be built in "Sudafrka" (South
Africa).
The new world car "Katalog" lists a BORA as the replacement.
The BORA is listed under the GERMAN built section.
The Vento (Jetta III) is not that popular in Germany so they
may move the production to Mexico and build the GOLF in
Germany. I don't have all the info now and I know you want real info.
I think the BORA may be called a Jetta IV in the US someday.
This car looks like a PASSAT and a Golf IV.
They do not list details so I think it will be some time
before it is on the road, in the US anyway. I think you will need
to drive this new car and see for yourself.

The Passat is nice and I think they have a cupholder too.
The Passat is a good size for all the family.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red MK1 Scirocco "S"
90 16v Passat WGN.

Message text written by "Crane, Damien"

Hey everyone

OK here's my deal.  I am preparing to buy a family car (it will be the trip
car and my wife's (not my) daily transportation.  I am currently planning
on
a MK4 Golf/Jetta when they arrive.  Now, I have heard from the dealer (who
sounded like he knew what he was talking about {?}   The Golfs will arrive
(starting a couple of months after the Jettas) from Germany.  I want to
know
whether anyone has any definitive experience in the relative qualities (I'm
talking about assembly quality, corrosion resistance, etc -- things that
will effect the long term durability and reliability of the car) of the
outputs of the two different factories.  Now before you all get going on
the
Germany rules kick, consider these things.

Anybody have any real information about whether one or the other of these
places of manufacture should be avoided and why?

Damien<

- --