God bless Mustangs

Hi everyone,

What a fun night.  I was out enjoying the sound of my new exhaust, on a
particularly twisty section of road near the town/city I live in ...
anyways, I found myself next to a typical late 80's 5.0 at a set of
lights.  I don't tend to pull much ego with these guys, 'cause I know I'll
get my ass smoked ... but he must have thought I wanted to race, 'cause he
started to gun his engine.  Being the idiot I am, I figured, what the hell

... so we were off.  Of course, he put on a large smoke show, while I
judiciously applied power to maintain the adhesion limits of my tires.  He
wasn't out in front of me for all that long, when we started back into the
twisties.  Being the guy I am, I really started driving my car ... now, I
know this road, and I know the limits of my car quite well, and I guess
Mr. Mustang didn't, 'cause I started to tighten the gap between our cars
... in one fewl swoop, I was past him, and as the twisties got twistier, I
got further ahead.

At the next set of lights, I decided it was time for gas.  No sooner did I
have gas pump in hand, did Mr. Mustang pull in.  I didn't know what kind
of confrontation this would be, so I just acted cool.  Here's a snippet of
dialogue that took place.

Neanderthol: (looking over my badgeless car) Hey, uh, what kind of car is
this.

Mike: Volkswagen Scirocco.

Neanderthol: (looking a bit indignant) My buddy used to have a Rabbit, uh
... like, does this thing have a small block?  (looking at the low
hoodline at this point).

Mike: Naah, I've got a one point eight with a racing header and overhead
cam.

Neanderthol: Fuck, man.  (gets down on his knees and looks under front
faring)

Mike: Oh, it's got a racing suspension, too.  And tires.

Neanderthol: (unintelligible grunts, and an indignant return to his
Mustang, which he lights up in a smoke show that fails to draw the
slightest bit of attention from me)

God bless America.

- -- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper