Mexican vs German

Hey everyone

I have a question to pose to y'all, but before I do, let me quote the
MezeMeister - typos and grammatical errors intact.

"First, let get going with if you dont know for fact, dont bother to offer
up some theories as to what it might be. Im the KING of theories and am
only looking for hard, cold, been_there_done_that, fact.

AGHT!! I said no theorists! I dont wanna hear might be this, might be
that. AGHT!! NO! "

OK here's my deal.  I am preparing to buy a family car (it will be the trip
car and my wife's (not my) daily transportation.  I am currently planning on
a MK4 Golf/Jetta when they arrive.  Now, I have heard from the dealer (who
sounded like he knew what he was talking about {?} ) that due to Beetle
production, only the Jettas will be made in Mexico.  The Golfs will arrive
(starting a couple of months after the Jettas) from Germany.  I want to know
whether anyone has any definitive experience in the relative qualities (I'm
talking about assembly quality, corrosion resistance, etc -- things that
will effect the long term durability and reliability of the car) of the
outputs of the two different factories.  Now before you all get going on the
Germany rules kick, consider these things.
1. I have no irrational nationalistic tendencies or loyalties.
2. If you look at the data, the assembled in Germany cars don't have a very
good record.  Passats and Corrados from Germany don't seem to be rated as
well as Golfs and Jettas from Mexico.
3. People that I know of have been quite happy with their A3 model's quality
and lack of minor failures and buzzes, squeaks and rattles.  Whereas people
with A1/A2 models seem to be forever rationalizing the buzzes, squeaks and
rattles as part of the VW charm.  I don't find them charming.  I have a
couple of A1s that are for fun.  This one has to be a good, solid,
comfortable and absolutely reliable car.  It should even have ...   ...er
...um    ...cupholders (collective shiver)  Remember I am considerably older
than most of you and have a wife and family and everything.  I have other
cars for tearing around and autocrossing and ProRallying, so it's OK for
this to be relatively unsporty.  I can't afford a VR6 (shit).  I would still
prefer to stick with VW, however.

Anybody have any real information about whether one or the other of these
places of manufacture should be avoided and why?

Hope I didn't come off sounding arrogant, but blatant subjectivity and
prejudice presented as fact really bugs me.

TIA

Damien
(Nothing is sacred, not even the Romans er Germans)

- --