Re: [TECH]Gauge Faces Color

At 8:45 PM -0600 11/27/98, Jody Bailey wrote:
>So with the discussion last week, what was the best way to change the
>color of the instrument cluster?  How can I get to that little green
>strip at the top to change it to red?  Or should i just go with ripping
>it out and changing bulb colors?  The MFA is not going to be able to be
>changed?  Is this correct???  Some quick input would help, seeing as my
>instrument cluster is spread all over my room right now.  Brett's gauge
>faces are really cool!!!  Not that hard either, just takes patience to
>make it look professional.
>
>--
>Jody Bailey

Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad the install is going well. :-)

Anyway, the way I would suggest changing the color would be to
remove the green strip, and get a spot light colorant sheet from
a lighting supply place and cut it to fit.  They're designed for
high heat, so they won't melt.  The only additional thing that you
may want to add would be a diffuser sheet.  I bought sheets of blank
white stencil material from an art supply store and cut it down
to fit.  Works great.  All my gauges are lit in yellow, including
the 3 little VDO gauges, and the HVAC controls (that one was a bitch).
Oh, as far as the MFA goes, leave it alone.  You'll break it, I can
assure you almost 100% that's what will happen.  I've taken apart
several LCD clocks in order to change the color of them, my sucess
rate has been exceedingly low...don't take it apart is my advice.

Take a few pics when you're done, good luck!

==Brett

   \/   '85 Scirocco    | "Too much is never enough..." - brett@netacc.net
  \/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v | "Hot VW's, take two home, they're small."