RE: Hesitation....

At 10:22 AM 11/23/98 -0500, Chris Coracini wrote:
>try this...  next time it gets in the "sluggish" mode, shut off the car
>and re-start it.  if it goes away, you have a bad knock sensor.  it
>sends a weird signal to the control unit and since the control unit
>can't understand it, it goes into "limp" mode until it's reset by
>shutting off the car.  there's an article about it in the FAQ's.  just
>another possibility for you to check...
>
>chris
>86 16V scirocco

Actually it doesn't *necessarily* mean your knock sensor is bad.  I had
those exact symptoms this summer, and I couldn't figure out wtf was going
on until someone suggested I clean the contacts in the knock sensor
harness.  Turns out the 3-prong connector down around the oil filter was
the problem.  I hit it with some contact cleaner and was problem free for a
few months, until it started happening again and I fixed it the same way.