FW: Lights

Here's another one that alot of us will benefit from.  thanks to all who are continuing to respond on lighting.

I used 30 amp relays because that's what I had available to me.  You could
try to locate them at auto parts store, and auto air conditioning shop or
possibly other repair shops.  Ask for the Bosch relay's, they'll just last
longer.  You can figure out what amperage of relay you'll need by dividing
the amperage of the bulb by 12 volts.  I bought the european spec H4's for
my MK1 'rocco, quad round, and they came with 55/60 watt bulbs.  So
depending on how you wire it up, 2 relays or 4, you can find out the
requirements for the job.  I used two relays and it worked fine.  I used
one relay for the low beams and one for the high beams.  Unlike what most
people do, I used the pre-existing headlight wiring.  Use the wire that
comes out of the factory loom from the switch as the relay signal wire. You
then run power off of the battery for your power source.  If you want, I
can make up a simple wiring diagram to show how I did it. I think the
relays were about $11 a piece.  I also picked up some nice relay holders at
an auto air conditioning shop for about $5 a piece.  A/C shops usually have
holders and relays for repairing clutch circuits and all that.
Some people recommend using 4 relays, two for each side, but that's
probably over kill.  I used two total they work great!  The only reason why
I could see you needing to use 4 relays is if you plan on using 80 or 100
watt bulbs, but that really isn't fair to the other drivers.  HTH.

Kris Rayner