Rattles

  I have been trying to track down a series of rattles in my 16V. At first
it was an exhaust rattle(I think), that was caused by a bad rear motor
mount. So I bought the HD front and rear mounts from Potterman. After
having to tweak these a few times to get them mounted and aligned 100%
right, I am still getting a good bit of noise into the cabin. This is
expected from the HD mounts. But I am hoping to be able to pinpoint the
source of the noise, and get my car quiet again. The passenger side motor
mount was done last year(maybe 4000 miles on it). The only one I haven't
done is the drivers side mount. I removed some of the downpipe heatshields,
which cured some more of the noise. Now I've got just a few different
noises to deal with:

  One is a buzzing from the driver side dashboard. It is not loud at all,
except for from 3000-4000 RPM, where it gets extremely loud.

  The other is a rattle that sounds like its coming from the center of the
dashboard, behind the vents. It isn't that loud, and is pretty much always
there.

  Any thoughts on these two? Or if anyone has any other rattle hunting
tips, please send them along. I will try to organize whatever info I get
and pass it on to the scirocco.org webmaster.

Brad