Re: Worth it?

Etrik wrote:

> Okay,  I found something,  but I need a little input,  The
> car is an 87 16v 200k miles, paint sucks

Hey!  Just rub some GS27 on any bad paint, dents, rust and they're GONE!
Really though, most tornado red can be rubbed out to brilliance, it's thick and
hard paint.

 body has some rust,

door handles?  16v rocs don't rust too easily.

> it has euro bumpers and lights, but they are in sad shape
> (right high beam has a hole,

Could it be filled with acrylic?  Like a BB hole?  Worth a try.

> and bumpers are all chewed up)

bumpers can be plastic filled, although you'll lose the grain and end up
painting them smooth.

> the down pipe flex couple sounds bad,

With the engine cold, start the car, and while it's running get out and cup
your hands around the joint, if it's puffing on your hands, it's shot.

> e-brake don't work,

I'M SHOCKED!

> head has been replaced (snapped belt?)

receipts?  work order?  Does the appearance of the head help validate this?

> The euro stuff is repairable, and the body kit is in real good
> condition.  It is just going to be a daily driver as well.
> I guess the biggest problem is the flex couple,  he is asking
> $1500, is it worth it?

Walk in with 10 $100 bills, and say "this is all the bank would give me".  He'd
be crazy not to take it IMHO (200k miles?, cracked flex? etc.)

> It also has a set of 15" BBS rims and fairly new yoko tires (lips are pretty
> bent though),
> and its red (bleh ;P).

> Also, what kind of job is replacing the flex couple if I do get it?  and how
> much will it cost, wasn't someone on the list selling one, Jim Buck?

Yes, I have some of them, barely used for $80, and will be posting the
proceedure with pics on my site in the near future.  Check my "parts" page for
a pic of the part.
--
Jim Buck
1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v