Re: sway bars

----------
>From: "Anthony Pelletier" <apelle62@MAIL.CAPS.MAINE.EDU>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: sway bars
>Date: Tue, Nov 10, 1998, 2:05 PM
>

>Hi everyone
>
>I have some handling questions for you all.
>I am debating what to run on my 16v.  I already have neuspeed springs
>I have boge struts (for now)  I plan on upgrading to the koni
>adjustables.  I am debating what sway bars to run.
>I know lots of people have the neuspeed or autotech bars.  how do ya
>like em????  also do you run the stock rear bar at the same time.
>
>also what about H & H specalties.

I've come to prefer H&H style bars over Neuspeed.  Neuspeed's bar will bind
at some point - the axle and beam twist around different axis, and
Neuspeed's bar is fixed to the shockbolt.  Autotech has gotten around this
somewhat by incorporating a slider bushing at the shockbolt, which makes
sense.

Question is, at what point does the bar bind with the beam, making it rigid?
 Is it within the normal operating range of the twist beam?  If not, well,
it sorta does not matter.  I've never bothered to figure it out, but at
_some_ point, the bar will bind.   They do seem to work ok, leading me to
believe that the bar binds well outside "normal" twist ranges, but I don't
know.

H&H's rear bar will not limit twist.  Neither should Autotech's.  H&Hs
design(Shine & BSI or OPM's are similar design) is clever, straightforward
and seem to work well.  I particularly like H&Hs front bars - they
incorporate a lower stressbar with the swaybar.  H&H advertises bar rates,
an unusual and appreciated feature, but IMHO, they're a tad misleading.

For rear bars, I'd look at Autotech or H&H.  I'm not too enthused with the
Neuspeed design, personally.  Front bars, H&H, my Autotech with homemade
brackets is good, hated the Neuspeed, and I'd buy H&H if I were to do it
again.

WRT hollow bars, my front 22mm Neuspeed weighed 10lbs, the hollow Autotech
is 7 - not a bad bar, but don't buy it on weight savings.

I.Mannix

 I have their pamphlet from water