RE: Re: 3.5 bars??????

The current back-and-forth of idle oil pressure seems to be consistent
with the little -FYI- bit in the Techtonics catalog. In the section with
the oil pumps, baffles, etc. there is a little blurb about how solid
liftered cars run a normal oil pressure of 30 - 90 psi. Didn't say about
idle, (prob ~30). Then it goes on to say that the cars with hydraulic
lifters ran a much lower oil pressure. 10 - 15 psi or lower at idle.  So
I wouldn't worry. As long as you have enough oil, the right oil pump for
your engine, and there's no major leaks, you should be fine.

BTW. I put in a hydraulic head with 9.5:1 CR, along with the oil pump,
and my oil pressure at idle & 100C temp is between 6-10 PSI. I do have a
leak from what looks to be in the region of the oil cooler, and I'm
questioning weather the oil pump was the right one after all. So I might
be a little too low. Plus the idiot light comes on sometimes on the way
home from work if there is a sudden traffic jam, and the RPM's drop
suddenly to idle.

Hope this clears up the confusion

Jonas
85 Scirocco

PS. If anyone has an oil pump lying around from an >86 VW with hydraulic
lifters (bonus if from a 2.0l) I am looking to buy one. TIA