going rate for a rocco

I'm looking into a winter beater so I don't have to submit my 16v to the
riggors of Minnesota road salt. Kinda sad...I bought the car 'cause it
was cheap and fun. Now I've been underneath it, and there's no rust, and
I've totally fallen in love with the thing. Arrg.

Anyway, among other obvous beater options, I've come across two Sciroccos
for sale that might work as combination winter cars and potential parts
donars. How much are the worth?

Behind door number 1:
87 16v, Tornado Red. Almost identical to my car (88), but in sad cosmetic
shape. Lots of surface rust, the dash is horribly cracked, and the seats
are chewed up. The car sat for a long time, and picked up some residents
(the nest is still under the rain tray). No sun roof, but it does look to
have a complete cruise-control system (disconnected). The real bonus is
that it has a brand new head, so the engine probably runs well (though I
haven't heard it). The dealer wants $2000, which I think is out of the
question, since I only paid $3000 for mine, and it looks like it's just
off the showroom compared to this thing.

Behind door number 2:
82 1.7l 8v, dark red. Has also been sitting for a while (all summer).
Supposedly runs well - I'll take it for a drive when the guy charges the
battery. Body is in pretty good shape and the interior looks dirty but not
totally abused. It's being sold by a grease-monkey shop that specializes
in Baja Bugs (wild for Minnesota, eh?). He's asking $1500, and again I'm
not sure that it's worth that much. The only noticable bonus is an
honest-to-goodness real mono wiper setup.

Both these guys seemed like they might take a lot less than they're asking
if I waived cash in their face. Assuming the engines run well and the
suspension and brakes are OK, what are
they worth?

			Neal Tovsen