Synthetics ... my $0.02

Hi guys,

Just some thoughts on synthetic engine oil from one who lives in a
cold part of the world.  During the winter, I find that running my
usual summer grade of oil makes starting a bit harder ... I'm also
not fond of the thoughts of honey-thick oil lubricating my cold
engine.  I find that my oil pressure is somewhat lower with a thinner
oil once it is warmed up (drops to about 1.5 bar at idle, as opposed
to my usual 3.5 bars at idle during the summer).

Switching to the full synthetic oil has made the coldest winter
morning starts much easier (you can actually hear your engine running
smoother), and my oil pressure stays consistantly at 3 bars at idle,
summer or winter.  I like this consistancy, and I feel much better
knowing that the engine isn't getting chewed up as bad in the winter
when I run it.

The cost?  I spend about $30 (Canadian) for oil every oil change.
Throw in $4 for a VW oil filter, and you can see that it does
increase maintenance costs ... and with regards to leaks, I have yet
to have a single drip come out of the engine.  I did replace the
crankshaft oil seals, the oil pan gasket, distributor gasket and the
valve cover gasket not that long ago, so it comes as no surprise that
my engine is tight ...

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper