Re: [tech][valve cover gasket]

Thanx for the info boys.  Really quite easy, but I wasn't sure, and like
I said I need my car later tonight, so I just needed someone to tell me
it was as easy as I thought.  Sorry for being retarded :-)

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> Jody Bailey wrote:
> >So this may sound stupid, but I got my rubber valve cover gasket, but
> >how do I put it on.  Now I have not even looked at it, but I need my
> >car, and I don't want to take off the valve cover without being able to
> >put the new one back on. I don't have a spare cork cover.  Wich way and
> >how do I put the new studs in? TIA Once again sorry for the simple
> >question :-)
> >
> >--
> >Jody Bailey
> >85 Scirocco 8v
>
> Jody,
>
> Don't apologize for wanting to learn how to do something new.
>
> The way I pulled my studs out is by "double nutting" them. (sounds
> dirtier than it is). Basically, after removing your valve cover and
> anything that bothers you because it's in the way, you take two of the
> nuts that hold the valve cover on and put them on one stud, one at a
> time. They don't have to go all the way down, in fact it's sometimes
> easier if they are up a bit. Then you tighten the nuts to eachother.
> (i.e. top nut clockwise, bottom nut counterclockwise. Then put your
> wrench around the bottom nut and loosen as usual. The top nut will
> prevent the bottom nut from turning and so the torque you are providing
> goes into loosening the stud out of the cylinder head. Repeat process
> for all the studs. You can also use the reverse process to tighten the
> new studs in.
>
> HTH
>
> Jonas
> 85 Scirocco

Jody Bailey
85 Scirocco 8v
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6866/
"It's not what you are, but what you don't become that hurts." -Oscar
Levant