RE: [tech][valve cover gasket]

Jody Bailey wrote:
>So this may sound stupid, but I got my rubber valve cover gasket, but
>how do I put it on.  Now I have not even looked at it, but I need my
>car, and I don't want to take off the valve cover without being able to
>put the new one back on. I don't have a spare cork cover.  Wich way and
>how do I put the new studs in? TIA Once again sorry for the simple
>question :-)
>
>--
>Jody Bailey
>85 Scirocco 8v

Jody,

Don't apologize for wanting to learn how to do something new.

The way I pulled my studs out is by "double nutting" them. (sounds
dirtier than it is). Basically, after removing your valve cover and
anything that bothers you because it's in the way, you take two of the
nuts that hold the valve cover on and put them on one stud, one at a
time. They don't have to go all the way down, in fact it's sometimes
easier if they are up a bit. Then you tighten the nuts to eachother.
(i.e. top nut clockwise, bottom nut counterclockwise. Then put your
wrench around the bottom nut and loosen as usual. The top nut will
prevent the bottom nut from turning and so the torque you are providing
goes into loosening the stud out of the cylinder head. Repeat process
for all the studs. You can also use the reverse process to tighten the
new studs in.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco