Re: Synthetic Oil?

In a message dated 11/16/98 4:15:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
josiah@gsinet.net writes:

>  FWIW, Car & Driver did a study awhile back about synthetic oil. They
> tested
>  some New York taxis over 60,000 miles and could not discern any difference
> in
>  engine wear between synthetic and normal oil, nor could they tell the
>  difference between any of the other oils. As far as they could tell, all
> oils
>  protected as well as each other. In extreme temperature situations,
> synthetic
>  oil can help. But unless you live in Alaska or the Sahara, I wouldn't worry
>  about it.  Just my $.02
>      -Josiah

Not to be contentious but over the last year this test had been batted about
back and forth quite a bit. I'm no evangelist but the NY cabbie test is not
the same as VW nuts running around in 10-20 year old cars.

Stop and go vs canyon runs, Detroit iron vs. Melted down W.W.II tanks, you get
the idea. In some respects it's apples and oranges.

As to the time frame, formulas have been improved since synth 1st came on the
scene so leaking is not as much a worry.

Anyway, nobodies going to force anybody either way.

Do what you think best.

TBerk