Re: Synthetic Oil?

In a message dated 11/16/98 3:31:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
whitneyr@terrier1.thomas.edu writes:

>  I just got an '85 scirocco with around 100K miles on it. The engine is
> from
>  an '84 GTI. I was wondering if there is a possibility of changing to
>  synthetic oil without replacing all the seals and such. Is synthetic really
>  worth it? What about semi-synthetic?

Take it last to 1st- Change the oil & filter ( Mann, right? ) and go with a
high quality semi-synth. The synthetic content is actually kinda low so no
worries. Look for leaks and next time consider switching to full synthetic. I
don't have hard numbers but if it's good enough for that guy in EC mag. then
I'll say "It feels stronger, and I think I'm getting better gas mileage..."

But really, I switched the '81 over to semi then synth and no leaks jumped
out. I mean the valve cover leaked before just a bit and continued to after.
My gas mileage didn't just jump up but did increase about 10% over time. Real
Road dyno tests allowed me to run at a higher sustained speed up and down the
same freeway and it sounded/reved better.

Proceed w/ caution but

Go for it.

TBerk