Re: CV JOINT

At 09:55 PM 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I've heard VW parts places say this too.. I think they are a little biased.
>I've run 2 rebuilt shafts for over 1.5 years w/ no problem. Best of all,
>their lifetime warranty! Next time a boot rips, I'm swapping it out for a
>good one for free! woohoo! Only cost $100 each

  I went through a few of these $100 rebuilds half shafts on my last
scirocco. They didn't seem to last too long, maybe 2 years(30,000
miles).Not too impressive. Supposedly the reason they don't last as long is
that when they rebuild the joints, they remove some of the metal, and
simply go to slightly larger ball bearings. While this doesn't sound
horrible by itself, apparently, the stock ones are hardened somehow, and
when they rebuild them, they weaken this, which is why the rebuilds don't
last as long. This may be 100% wrong, but its what I was told, and my
rebuilds definitely didn't last that long.

Brad