Re: Front wheel bearings.

In a message dated 11/15/98 8:08:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jdaugher@cyberramp.net writes:

>  Does anyone know about how long I can go on a wheel bearing that's begun
>  howl?  I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get fixed, but I need to know if
>  it's safe to drive the car today.  It just started making noise Friday, and
>  it's already to a pretty good howl.  I don't know if that helps or not.
TIA

>  Jerry Daugherty
>  87 8V

Back when I was younger and didn't know any better, I ran a car around for
about 6 months with bearings like that. The important thing would be the axle
nut, if it is loose then things get hairy at speed. Jack up that corner of the
car and grab the wheel. Does it have a lot of slop?

I'd think 24-72+ hours ( vs *days* ) would be OK.

TBerk