Re: Synthetic Scirocco and white gauge faces

In a message dated 11/13/98 4:24:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
EurotekVW@aol.com writes:

> n a message dated 11/13/98 4:21:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, tudor@tvo.org
>  writes:
>
>  > I strongly recommended synthetic oils of all sorts to everyone
>  >  on the list.
>  I wouldn't recommend using synthetic oils in an older engine that hasn't
had
>  it before. Synthetic lubricants are high in detergents and will flush out
alot
>  of gunk in your engine. The downside? That gunk relocates itself i your
oilpan
>  to potentially clog your oil pump. Also,,,that gunk that was keeping your
old
>  gaskets from leaking will no longer be there and you will start seeing
leaks
>  in many places. I have seen it first hand. If you'd like to use them,
replace
>  all your gaskets and seals with new ones first. Later guys.
>
>  Frank

My plan when switching over to synth engine in my high mileage 1.7L was to
transition using semi-synth during one oil change cycle. I then switch over
whole hog to Mobil Red Cap and haven't looked back. All has been well, there
has always been a bit of general leakage around the valve cover but no more
before or after.

Q. As for the gunk that will accumulate in the oil pan; Why wouldn't it remain
in suspension and flush out with the next oil change?

Go for it but proceed with caution.

Berk