SV: alternator wiring questtion

It's telling you when your charger is working properly so it can
be thin, doesn't handle power. Without it you wont see if your
waterpump,charger belt breakes and you will risk overheating
your motor.
Goes from alternator to fuesbox and from fuesbox to
instrumentcluster. Guess you can cutaway the bad part and
connect a fresh wire for replacement.

Roland Johansson
Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker

I see 2 wires hooked up to my alternator on my 87 2.0 16v.
the top wire is thick  and runs to the starter which then runs
to battery positive post.  (power is my logical guess)

MY QUESTION:   there is a skinny wire, directly below the thick
wire, that connects to a small screww and leads to gosh nows
where.  This skinny wire is not in the best condition.
What is this lower wire?
Is it important/ vital for proper functioning of car?
What does it do?
Where does it lead to?
What is its function?

Is it easy to replace?