Re: Lighting up the engine compartment

In a message dated 11/12/98, 12:53:12 AM, fluidweb@hotmail.com writes:
<<
Hey Scirocco DIYers,

I need to add a light or a series of lights to the black hole under the
hood. All my car problems conveniently occur at night...

I have zero lighting up there, so what is the best thing to do, get a
kit outta another beater, or try installing a mercury-switch hooked up
to a lamp? Anyone have experience doing this?

 -tb-  I'd not use a mercury switch, cool as it sounds becuase of the concern
it might be switching on and off during hard bumps.

 If possible I'd want to
add maybe a couple bulbs, one above the engine and another near the
battery so that I can check out my amp fuse panel.

-tb- How about a clip-on jobie that stows away that you pull out and run off
the cig. lighter? Ugh, low-Elan factor. Hmm, look into the low voltage spot
lighting the sell now. I'l peek a bit at it this lunch time at the local Home
Depot. It is ment for home task/ strip lighting. Requiers a transformer to
convert the 120V down to something like 3V (?).

Also, anyone upgraded their map lighting? Can you mount above and aft of
the rear view mirror without going thru the roof?

Thanks,

     Pete Jacobsen
     DIYer Extraordinaire
     1980 1.8L GTI

-tb- Map lighting;  I've been looking at that Hella map light with the
goosneck. I was thinking of mounting it were the current Mk1 interior light is
now- over the driver's head near the door jamb. Figgured I clip it out of the
way with one of those hanger hooks found in the backseat roof area. On another
tip I've been envious of the swivele, dome mounted, map lights some cars (Fox)
have and was thinking of adapting something like that. Low profile, etc.

( Sorry for the crummy quoting, beta emailer in use. )
MOre to follow,
TBerk