Re: [tech] Oil Pan and Cam Shaft Gaskets

Tell us what car you have and we can help you better. Generally oil pans are
easy, if you have an 8v. I don't know anything about 16v's, really, but I think
they're pretty much the same. There are just the two bolts in between the
bellhousing and the motor that are a PITA. I personally use a 1/4" drive flex
joint and extension. Other than that, it's EASY! A half-hour job unless you run
into something odd. The cam seal is a little harder, requires taking off the
upper timing belt cover and cam sprocket. Why do you think you have to do the
cam seal in particular? Usually what leaks first is the valve cover gasket,
rear main seal, and oil pan gasket. Of course, I've seen plenty of leaky front
main seals and intermediate shaft seals, as well as a couple of leaky cam
seals... just wondering.
    GL!
    -Josiah