RE: 8v Hydro Heads: Plug 'n Play??

David Ruby wrote:
>Are the hydraulic-lifter 8v heads a simple bolt-on upgrade?  Do
>they offer the 8.5:1 compression ratio, or is it different?
>Anyone have other thoughts on the pros/cons of such heads?
>Experience??
>
>Danke,
>-Dave
>'86 8v

I did this swap about 2 months ago. Not so much out of a desire for
hydraulic lifters, but because I found a nice one for cheap. I got the
head off of an 87 GTI plus the new oil pump for $100.   The head had
also been resurfaced so that I now have a 9.5:1 CR.  The original
motivator for swapping was that 3 out of 8 exhaust manifold studs were
broken off in the head, and when I put in the autotech tri-y header, it
made a loud and annoying noise as the exhaust gases were escaping. I
took it to a shop and they did not have enough room to remove the studs
with the head still on. I decided to then look for a head to swap with.
That's how I came to get the new one.

  The results?  Well, it's hard to say. I definitely notice more power,
but that's probably from the 9.5:1 CR than anything else. The lifters
are old and one or two are ticking, so I'll probably need to buy new
ones.  $$ ouch.

  Overall I am very happy with my swap,  more power, no more noise. I
have been toying with the thought of fixing up my old head though.
Remove the broken studs, try to do an mild port job, (maybe) send it out
for a valve job, (think about) shaving it for 9.5:1 CR, etc. It's just
sitting in my garage, and I catch it givign me bad looks behind my back
(probably because it feels like I tossed it to the side like a used
kleenex). So the thought of putting it back on the block to make that JH
enging complete again just seems to creep back into my stream of
conciousness more and more these days.

The moral of the story:  If you need a new head, and you find a hydraulic
lifted head for cheap, it is not a bad swap. If you are looking to get
more power, however, this is probably not the best way to go, as other
listers have also indicated.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco