Re: question for the list from a newbie

Just FYI, the oil you are seeing is around the valve cover gasket. First,
check the oil and antifreeze. Make sure there is no trace of one in the
other. Then make sure the car doesn't emit any thick white smoke other than
the normal thin hot air against cold air stuff. These are all checks for
head gasket problems.

Next, do some driving up hills and verify the car doesn't cut out under
hard acceleration and make sure the clutch doesn't slip. B4 you go to check
out the car, see if the current owner will let the car sit for a few hours
so you can start it cold, to check cold starting and running operation.
Then when you get it running, verify a fair idle at stop lights and strong
acceleration once it is warm.

While you are driving, listen for grinding/humming or clicking sound. The
clicking/clacking sound around turns can indicate a bad CV joing. The
humming/grinding which may go away when you turn either left or right, may
indicate bad wheel bearings.

There are so many things to check for, but these are pretty important, so
good luck!!! 143k is alot of miles(although not too high if well
maintained), so I would offer $1500 max unless this thing is in awesome cond..
-Paul Hanley