Re: Speakers : 6x9s - Rear Shelf Design ramblings

At 11:31 PM 11/9/1998 EST, TBerk16@aol.com wrote:

>Some design ramblings, use as you will:

<snip>

Hey, thanks!  I'll definitely try some of these, since I've finally got the
time to try to get my VeeDub running again.  I haven't been able to look at
the thing for over a week, and it's still sitting up on ramps, wainting
patiently on me to find the water leak.

Anyway, I fooled with it some yesterday afternoon, and I'm going to be
redoing the whole stereo setup as soon as it's running again.

Back to stereo stuff:  I tried making cross braces to support the hatch
cover, too.  What I used were pieces of electrical conduit that I had
flattened on the ends to allow me to run a screw through them.  They
worked, but I often need to carry rather large pieces of gear, and they got
in the way of loading/unloading the hatch, so I had to discard that idea.

>[ I fabricated a cargo floor board from HDF and covered it with greyfuzzy;
the
>stuff industrial speakers are covered with. Works well, hard to find a real
>coal black color though. ]

I'm guessing that HDF is high density foam...Is that the stuff that comes
in sheets?

>Most speakers benefit from operating in an enclosed space, depends on
>(speaker) driver size- tweeters don't need much and can be open air pretty
>much. 6x9s are mids at best but could use a little enclosure to live in,
>stiffness of this box is paramount.  Something the relative size of a large
>shoebox for each will most likely improve the performance of these guys.

That's one reason I was planing on making enclosures next to the strut
towers, in fact.  I can make them smaller, and maybe even use the bottoms
of the enclosures for storage of something, like small tools or whatever.
What I had in mind was a tall enclosure with a seal about half-way down,
leaving an open space underneath.

>Seal
>up all the little air gaps if you go this way, contact me if you'd like more
>info re: speaker enclosures -

I will!  I appreciate the generosity, too.

>Warning- Most speaker surrounds don't last through the curing process of
>sealants like silicon, etc., the stuff outgasses and it will deteriorate the
>speakers.

How about Great Stuff, that foam insulation/sealant?  I'm just guessing,
but that's probably just as bad, huh?  I was planning to use caulking, but
of course it contains silicon.

>hope I'm helping,
>TBerk

You are, you are!  And I thank you for it!!

Carlye Fitzgerald (Carlee)