Re: Got a new '78 today. Can one have _too_ many VWs?

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 03:14:56 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:
>Hah, check this out,
>
>Friend of the family picked up an old Toyota yesterday for $10 ( bad
clutch )
>and the guy threw in a white '78 Scirocco for free- yes $0, because it
>wouldn't run right and the guy was mad at it!

Must be nice. Im still looking for a donor DSP car and one falls into
your lap. Some day.... :)

>So today I looked it over and pushed it home. Seems in pretty good shape
>considering. Got the engine running after a while- the exhaust started
to glow
>like a turbo though, so we shut it off.

First things first. Do you plan on making it a driver or a parts car?

>Here's some symptoms and a guess of what wrong:  engine turns over but
>sounds all wrong- sounds like it's not compressing on the right part of
the
>stroke (huh?), engine runs but poorly, stumbles but doesn't backfire or
>anything, like I said before- the exhaust gets cherry red after just a
few
>minuets of poor running.

Id check the compression and timing first. Then drop the cat to see of
its begun the melt down phase. The only reason why the exhaust should be
that hot is its running extremely rich + blockage in the exhaust system.
(Or, its got a turbo with 23lbs of boost and your racing the thing.)

>I'm thinking it's a slipped timing belt. The belt is all oily, prob.
from a
>valve cover leak. The engine has been cleaned recently but, well, you
know.
>What happens when you slip the timing belt?

Typically it will run a little funny. Sometimes ive put on the belt, and
the cam will turn one tooth. It still runs, not as good asit should but a
recheck of the timming marks shows the problem. Fix it if it needs it. if
your gonna keep this car, why not install a new timming belt?

>Since the rear wheel arch is a bit bashed I'm not so guilty feeling to
>part it out, but really I have misgivings.
>
>Oi.
>TBerk

Well, seems to me that you have 2 MK-I's now dude! The GTi just didnt fit
your style anyways dude si maybe this was a godsend? Sure! :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and