Got a new '78 today. Can one have _too_ many VWs?

Hah, check this out,

Friend of the family picked up an old Toyota yesterday for $10 ( bad clutch )
and the guy threw in a white '78 Scirocco for free- yes $0, because it
wouldn't run right and the guy was mad at it!

So today I looked it over and pushed it home. Seems in pretty good shape
considering. Got the engine running after a while- the exhaust started to glow
like a turbo though, so we shut it off.

Here's some symptoms and a guess of what wrong:  engine turns over but sounds
all wrong- sounds like it's not compressing on the right part of the stroke
(huh?), engine runs but poorly, stumbles but doesn't backfire or anything,
like I said before- the exhaust gets cherry red after just a few minuets of
poor running.

I'm thinking it's a slipped timing belt. The belt is all oily, prob. from a
valve cover leak. The engine has been cleaned recently but, well, you know.
What happens when you slip the timing belt?

All in all it looks great for a  parts car. The seats' bolsters are in great
shape, the dash is less cracked than mine and so on, and so on.

Since the rear wheel arch is a bit bashed I'm not so guilty feeling to part it
out, but really I have misgivings.

Oi.
TBerk