Re: spongy brakes

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 01:30:32 +0000 Michael Ravnitzky
<mikerav@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>I have an 1986 Scirocco 8V.  The brakes start to sponge/sink out/mush
>out sometimes when I apply brakes.  What should I check, and in what
>order? Do I need to bleed the brake lines?  Or something else?
>
>Mike Ravnitzky
>mikerav@ix.netcom.com

Id start with bleeding the lines. Flushing out the old fluid with new
stuff is never a bad idea and most people dont ever think about flushing
the brake fluid. 3-4 years on the same fluid is fairly common although
not a good idea from a maintenance perspective.

Then if you still have a mushy pedal feeling, check to see if any of the
calipers or the rear wheel cylinders are leaking.

If not, then you might have a bad master cylinder.
GL!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and