Re: [tech] Spring Removal, Procedure.

You can take the struts out without putting a spring compressor on them and
then put the spring compressor on afterwards when you have the strut out of the
car.
the job requires that you do the following:
1. Jack up the car
2. Remove the wheel
3. undo the two 13mm bolts at the top of the strut
4. undo the two bolts that hold the strut to the wheel bearing housing (they're
usually 17mm but I've run across some 19mm
5. pull the brake hose out of it's little clip on the strut if it hasn't
already fallen out
6. rock that strut back and forth until it comes off of the wheel bearing
housing, and voila! you have removed the strut...

It's a piece of cake.
Changing the springs is a different story. See, now you will have a whole strut
(compressed spring and strut insert) in your hand. Now you have to compress
that spring and get the top nut off (can be a pisser without air). You might
need a special tool if you're not lucky. Make sure you compress that spring
enough that there is no tension on it anymore and that you have that compressor
on there well. If you release any tension from that spring all at once, you're
going to have trouble! (as in injury, etc). Just be sure you put everthing on
the same way it came off. And yes, you will need an alignment.
    -Josiah