Re: [Solo II]updating/backdating 16V engine

> At 9:38 AM -0400 07/31/1998, Benjamin Beacock wrote:
> >So now that things are going great with the car again, I'm getting
ready
> >for the autocross at the Canadian Bugshow.  What I'm curious about its
> >what class I really should be in.
>
> What do you drive?  Basically, you can't really backdate the 16v into,
say,
> an 83 Scirocco body and call it CSP - it is _*possible*_ to do that, but
> you would HAVE to take EVERYTHING from the 16v(not just the engine, not
> just the good stuff) and put it in your 8v.  To be 100% legal, you would
> have to be able to prove that the 83 chassis is _identical_ to the 86.5+
> 16v body.  Tell us what you have/what you've done......
>
>   It sure rides nice  but doesn't have much camber at all.
> >One other thing.. for my first run, would it be a good idea to back off
> >throttle cable?
>
> No.  Just don't push the pedal as far.  It'd work about the same,
anyhow,
> it just would'nt have as much power.  Tell us what you've done to the
car,
> why is it in DM?

Its a 1981 Scirocco-S.  I have a 1.8L 16V engine complete with stock CIS-E
injecti. The head is ported and polished and has a lightened flywheel but
otherwise is stock(i probably won't mention those details). Custom
downpipe(probably worse than stock) 2" stainless exhaust, golf muffler. 8V
close ratio(4K) transmission, no diff kit yet. Jamex springs, boge turbo
gas shocks.  vented 9.4" front brakes, drum rear.  Rabbit GTI sway bars
front and rear. no stress bars yet. Rabbit 13x5.5" steel front wheels,
Vega/Monza 13x6" rear wheels, 175/70-13 Yokohama A008R.

As you can probably tell, I never really intended to autocross or I would
have stuck with the rules for a particular class.  The guy at waterfest
put me in DM cause the first thing he asked me was if my motor came in my
car and I said no forgetting that it came in the scirocco 16V.  Thats all
he asked. I probably could have just wrote down the class I thought I
should be in but I had no idea at all.

I guess I'll just have to be patient and not use the gas pedal like a
switch.  The front end is so light and it spins the wheels so easily in
2nd gear. Makes for bad corners. I guess this time I'll have more blood
and less adrenaline in my veins and not be a nervous wreck.

Ben Beacock
bbeacock@uoguelph.ca

- --