crossmember musings...

    Hey people.  I've been going thru my billion and four unchecked messages, and
this talk of crossmembers has revived some thoughts...

    Please correct me where I make a mistake.  If I were to remove my front
crossmember, would I be able to cut the top off to see inside of it?  I mean, it's
kind of like a rectangular metallic box, right?  Well, if I were to cut it open
like that, wouldn't I be able to strengthen it up considerably by welding plates
inside of it that would stretch from the "front" to the "back" of the member?
Here:

    |        |        |        |        |        |  <--welded plates
                        |    |<--front motor mount

    Do you see what I mean?  Maybe if they were angled, that might help as well.

    So whaddya think?  Might that not offer some rigidity to the crossmember?

jason
the mad bastard