Re: [oil pan][bolts] Duh!

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:11:39 -0500 "Jeff Wheeler" <j_dubbya@msn.com>
writes:

>It looks to me like I'd have to disconnect engine from transaxle to tap
this
>thing; anyone know otherwise?  I got the other 19 on just fine, and
properly
>torqued them twice as the Bentley calls for.  Do I have a snowball's
chance
>of not having gouts of oil spewing from the untorqued spot?

Actually, you do need to separate the tranny from the motor. The easiest
way I found to do without having to completely separate the 2 is to just
back out all the bolts until they have a couple turns on them. then split
the 2 and this should give you enough room to work in. I've done this at
least twice. (It gets easier the more you do it.)
Im pretty sure that if that bolt isnt tight, it will eventually leak. You
might as well do it right the first time.....

>Sometimes I'm so friggin' stupid.

Been there, felt like that many times. Chalk it up to "that's how it goes
sometimes". I've never stripped a TB bolt but many on the list have. I've
been <knock-knock> lucky.

It sounds like you got the pan back up there and got the bolts started
and not tightened? that's the best way to do it because the pan needs to
get moved around to get all the bolts in.
What i've learned to do is put one bolt in the front, one in the rear and
one in the passenger side and THEN tackle those 2 difficult bolts. I like
to get them out of the way fast so that if I have problems with any bolt
cross threading I can do it without the problem being those 2 dreaded
bolts. that's just me. I try to foresight any hazardous problems and do
them as soon as possible. Then the rest is easy to finish.
HTH and definitely GL!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and