Re: Next set of Problems!

Riley McDowall wrote:

> At 04:06 PM 1/9/98 -0700, pushkar ogale wrote:
> >Hello All,
> >       After replacing the alternator and fixing the current problems I was
> >experiencing now it is time to move on to the next set of problems. There
> >are 2 that I want to tackle.
>
> I think both problems may be related.  When the flexjoint in my downpipe
> went out (and it sounds like this is what's happening in your case too),
> the idle would hunt around or go up-down-up-down-up-down etc between
> 700-1200rpm.  I figured it was because there was too little backpressure to
> hold the idle steady, and once it got into an up-down oscillations the
> computer couldn't control it.  Whatever the case may be, when I replaced
> the leaky downpipe with a header the problem disappeared COMPLETELY.

Probably the air leak on the manifold side of the head (flexjoint) was
allowing false air to be drawn in on the intake stroke, causing a faulty
reading at the O2 sensor.  Can't wait to fix mine.  BTW, I have what I
believe is the lowest price for the downpipe/cat for 16v Scirocco -
$350, direct from Ansa.  OEM is $830.  Contact me if you're interested.

Jim

--
VW Parts to go:
… (SOLD!)14 x 6" alloy wheels, 38mm offset, very similar to TSW

(All prices do not include shipping)  I will ship all parts C.O.D.
e-mail me at VWpride@mixi.net