Re: [scca] Strange item for sale

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Paul Krucke wrote:

> Migrating the subject a little, the SCCA a rules (at least in Stock
> Class) allow for rear trailer hitchs.
>
> Now here is what I wonder.  Is it SIMPLY people may tow things, and no
> need to take it off.  Or is there some deep down, reason (especially
> on a front drive) of adding that nice centered weight to the back of
> the car?  Or given the way it is mounted could strengthen the chasis.
> Not all weight is bad if it becomes a balance thing.
>
> Your opinions?
> ==

Most everyone I know who has a trailer hitch on their autocross car takes
it off before events.  Most people I know opt to remove the spare, too.  I
suppose weight is not always bad in stock, although I'd normally go for
the lighter car.  The intent of the rule is not to allow ballasting - it
is to enable small cars to tow small trailers.  I wonder how much a 30
pound hitch assembly would really benefit a car, anyhow.  I suppose it
could make a small difference in conjunction with a spare tire.

"May serve no other purpose" is a curious phrase which winds up in the
rulebook a lot.  If a trailer hitch mounts to the framerails, it could be
considered a stiffener of sorts, could it not?  Interesting stuff.

I.Mannix