RE: chassis designations - decipher please. (a1,a2,a3..) [long][maybe boring]

Paul wrote:
WOW! you are really proving my point!  You obviously missed the
emoticions ( :-) ;-) ) and the "all in good fun".

[jb]  No, I read the "all in good fun", but at the same time I was a little
peeved.

I have not had a good "all in fun" argument in a long time, so I think
I will continue on this note for "fun".

[jb] Yes, let's see what you have to say

> A1 - Chassis Platform
> Mk1 & Mk2 - Body Style

This is clear and honestly I can accept it.

> This has nothing to do with something so petty as keystrokes, nor
does it

Someone else pointed out keystrokes, so I chimed in.

> have to do with some close minded notion of being "set in my ways."
It has
> to do with having a STANDARD so that we are better able to
understand each

Well now, are you speaking for everyone, or is this a personal
STANDARD?  If this is the standard why does just about every parts
vendor catalog refer to them as S1,S2 (i.e. Rapid Parts, Neuspeed,
ABD, Parts Place)??????????  Just because something may be a STANDARD does
not necessarily make it correct.

[jb]  Yes, I would have to say this is a personal standard yet at the same
time I would have to say this is the generally accepted terms for this
Scirocco list also.

> other.  When I say Mk1, Shawn knows exactly what I am talking about.
Right, Shawn and I understand for example, [and this is my real reason
for being so rigid on this subject], a friend of mine converted to
Sciroccoism, after following some list posts I printed for him, he
went out and bought some A2/Mk2 (Golf/Jetta) parts for his 88 Scirocco
II.  He mis-interpreted how MkII was used on YES--THIS LIST.  Needless
to say the hassle and return shipping charge cost him about a week &
$50.00 in shipping charges.

[jb] Yes, not everyone is going to understand.  I think we are proving this
point as we speak (write, whatever).  My entire point is miscommunication.
 I am still under the assumption that most of the people on this list use a
common generally accepted set of terms.  We understand each other.  By
using these standards (mine, yours, whoevers) it is possible to avoid the
aforementioned problem.

> When someone says A1 when in reality he is talking about the earlier
body
style (up to '81) there is confusion.

You just contradicted yourself here, you mean Mk1 not A1 as A1 covers
both Mk1 & Mk2 Scirocco's according to your above mentioned
interpretation.

[jb]  Confusion.  Read the sentence again.  For example, Joe Blow tells me
he has an A1.  I'm thinking this doesn't tell me very much, all Scirocco's
are A1's.  In his mind, he means Mk1 but says A1.  See the confusion.  I'm
not contradicting myself, just making a point that you completely missed.

"Degenerative effects" -- sorry, I let logic dictate in my case, and
the logic is simple.

1)	Vendors and many people outside the list I know use S1 & S2

[jb] True

2)  As many books seem to contradict the Mk designation over weather
it is truly a chasis or body designation, I feel drop the Mk in favor for
the simple 'A' chasis designation, and S1,S2 body designation thereby
ending in all reality the confusion.
3)  Less key strokes :-) :-)
4)	By buddy would not have been confused and bought the wrong parts.

[jb]  What is this logic based on?  It seems that there is nothing solid to
base this logic on.  It is based on what YOU  have experienced.  The fact
that there are so many inconsistencies in print (on and off the list) there
isn't much logic at all.  The only statement that we can even start to use
logic would be the fact that all Scirocco's are on the AI chassis.  This is
true (as far as I know) and indisputable. The rest is personal taste, not
logic.

I think everyone by this time is tired of this line.  If you've been here
for any length of time, we've been through it before.  If not, I'm sure
you're as confused as ever.  I personally know enough about these cars to
make a distinction in most cases.  IN my own PERSONAL interactions on and
off the list, A1 is a chassis designation.  There is no argument about it,
this is a standard any way you look at it.  VW set this standard.  They
have the right to do so.  Now for the MkI or II or SI or II, whatever you
want to call it, as long as SI means Mk1 and MkII means SII, I don't care
which you  use.  I will understand.  I'm tired, want to enjoy the weekend
and replace my front wheel bearing on my 85GTI (A2, I don't use any other
designations for other VW's).  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  I
can't wait to see the retorts to this come Monday.  Any way you look at it,
this has been sorta fun.  No harm is intended in any way.

John
80 Scirocco S