From: Paul Krucke <vwfan53@yahoo.com>
To: David Liu <dyliu@pacbell.net>, scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: Re: chassis designations - decipher please. (a1,a2,a3..)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:03:38 -0800 (PST)

---David Liu <dyliu@pacbell.net> wrote:
> what are the chassis designations? A1 A2 A3....

Ok, the subject with my biggest pet-peeve.  Right Shawn?

The A or Mk [synonyms] designation is generational/CHASIS specific NOT
necessarily 'BODY' specific.

ALL Scirocco's are or A1/MkI designation although a Scirocco body
style change was implemented in 1982->  thus the Scirocco II.  Peter
Vack author of the 'VW Buyers guide' (I blame him) referred the the
Scirocco II as an MkII erroneously.  Also A1/MkI are Rabbit & Jetta's
through 1984 there is some 1/2 year stuff not worth expounding on.
All most forgot all "Cabriolet's" are A1/MkI's .   See "Cabrio" below.
 So if you own a Scirocco its an A1/MkI in either a SI or SII body
style.  Shawn change your shirts ;-).

A2/MkII are Golf's, Jetta's from 1985 thru 1992 and Corrado for its
entire life cycle.

A3/MkIII are Golf, Jetta's beginning in 1993 thru 1997  "Cabrio" note
spelling also fit in here.

A4/MkIV should be appearing ata dealer near you begging w/1998.

Passats have their own generations as well.

ITS NOT AN MKII D%$# IT!!!!!
==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
87 Scirocco 16v E-Stock
87 Jetta GLi
63 Bug Sunroof
"Friends don't let friends drive MINI-VANS!!!!"