Re: [wheel][major help!]

Tommy wrote:

> Ok I know some of you are going to love this one!
>
> I bought my baby 5 months ago, got a great deal for her from a private sale,
> Scirocco Scala '88, 96K miles, for £1100 or roughly $1700.
>
> One thing I failed to notice on the inspection was the locking wheel bolts!
> Fine you might say, prevents the Alloy wheels from being stolen!
>
> Problem: The guy didn't have the key! He has no idea where it is!
>
> The bolts are the TriLock type, round not hex shaped, with three locating holes
> in the bolt for the Key. The bolts are seemingly impossible to remove without
> the key (well without damaging the Alloy wheels anyway), and making up a brand
> new key which is strong enough is proving very difficult. (There are 250
> different key conbinations and no serial number on the bolts so contacting the
> manufacturer was a waste of time also).
>
> The challenge: How do I get the damn things off? Its only a matter of time
> before I get a puncture and then I'll be up shit creek without a paddle.
>
> Is there any way of getting the wheel off from the inside?
>
> Help!

One method I would try if the nut is exposed enough, is to take the
grinder blade on a dremel tool, and saw a deep slit in the face of the
nut.  Then I would find the biggest screwdriver I could find and pound
it in to the slit, and try to turn the nut or use the slit as a point to
take a chisel and hit it on an angle to rotate the nut.

Jim

--
VW Parts to go:
… (SOLD!)14 x 6" alloy wheels, 38mm offset, very similar to TSW

(All prices do not include shipping)  I will ship all parts C.O.D.
e-mail me at VWpride@mixi.net