Re: loose-feel shifter?

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:54:00 -0800 David Liu <dyliu@pacbell.net> writes:
>hey there again!
>i just noticed today that while engaged in gear, the shifter has about
1+"
>of play from side to side. i can also now hear the shift mechanism
clicking
>and clacking. does this mean the shift boot (if there is one) is broken?
>what gives? thanks all!
>
>dave

Mine still does this. its one of the few things on my car that ive not
replaced yet, but is on my agenda for replacement to make. The shifter is
the problem. Its something like $45 I think and that should fix your
problem. I think I say this alot but here goes anyways. While your gonna
replace the shifter, you might as well replace ALL of the shift bushings.
They deteriorate and add to the madness of the sloppy shifter that damn
near ALL VW's suffer from. Its just one of those maintenance items that
nobody really expects to have to do very often.
I've recently replaced the shifter in my GLi and with all the new
bushings I replaced at the same time, now i know what its like to drive a
new car! Its got that new car shifter feel to it. NICE!
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and