Re: question re: loose-feel shifter?

> hey there again!
>
> i just noticed today that while engaged in gear, the shifter has about 1+"
> of play from side to side. i can also now hear the shift mechanism clicking
> and clacking. does this mean the shift boot (if there is one) is broken?
> what gives? thanks all!

Easy fix. You probably need a new shift rod bearing. Get underneath the
car and follow the shift rod from the weather boot forward. The rod passes
through a bearing. The rod should fit precisely in the bearing. Mine was
shot and had a 1/4" gap all around the rod. It costs about $30 from the
dealer and is easy to replace.

First, loosen the shift rod clamp and remove it and the lever is attached
to from the shift rod.

Next, remove the 2 bolts from the shift rod bearing. One is easy to get
to, the other was a real bitch. I don't know about the exhaust on the 8V,
but the 16V has a dual downpipe, and one of the pipes blocks some access
to the second bolt. I had to remove the heat shield (three bolts), and was
just barely able to access the 2'nd bolt with a straight ratchet wrench. A
universal joint socket would have helped me a lot, but I did'nt want to
bum my friend's truck to drive to sears.

Install the new bearing.

Finally, you have to re-align the shifter. Take the cover off the weather
boot. It is a plastic disc that fits into the rubber boot. Have someone in
the car hold the shifter so that the shift finger is centered front-rear
and 7/16 from the reverse lockut plate. Use a 7/16 bolt head to gauge this
distance, it's a lot easier than using a ruler or dividers. While they
hold it in position, put the shift rod clamp back on, and tighten the
bolt.

Re-install weather boot cover, test drive, and buy your helper a beer.