Re: Glass removal

In a message dated 98-01-13 10:53:21 EST, John.Ryland@mail.sscoop.com writes:

<< Emergency! Does anyone have some helpful hints on getting the windshield
 out of a early Scirocco without breaking it or damaging the gasket? If I
 can pull it off, I can save myself at least $75 over a shop doing it,
 not to mention they say it could very well break when removing it. I'm
 actually more concerned about damaging the gasket than breaking the
 window cuz I can get the glass cheap. Gasket is around $90. My car's in
 the bodyshop awaiting the glass now, so time is of the essence. Without
 some good advice I have a feeling the windshield will not survive.

Had my '78 glass replaced a couple of times.  The guy sat in the pass. seat,
shoes on the dash, kicked the glass out.  The gasket survived, the glass did
not.  Putting it back is a different story.  If you need details, let me know.

Good Luck.

-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original Owner