Re: SV: [engine] Cracked head???

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Shawn C Meze wrote:

> Oh,another note on the headbolts, keep your washers. it seems that the
> non-diesel head bolts come without the washers. (Maybe this was just a me
> thing.) As I removed the head bolts in my GLi, I was tossing them in the
> trash. Then when I got the new bolts, they were missing the washers. DOH!
> Counterman said the diesel bolts come with the washers pressed on. its
> the same bolt. Whatever. Just one more thing to mess with me on the never
> ending week from hell. (Or was that year....)

That's interesting - I ran into that lately helping a friend put a reworked
head on his JH.  He only got 6 of them at first (that's all they had, I
guess), and they had washers and looked for all the world exactly like the
stock ones.  The rest of the bunch (that he bought later) did not have
washers, but were tapered just under the head - enough so that the washer
didn't seem to make sense (with the taper and the washer, there would have
been less thread length below).  We just put them in like we got them.  It
hasn't leaked or anything yet, but did we do the wrong thing?

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/