Re: SV: [engine] Cracked head???

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:16:54 +0100 "Roland Johansson" <toker@oden.se>
writes:
>If you have the 12-point headbolts you can reuse them without
>problems,
>it's the 6-point that always should be changed.
>
>Roland Johansson

Uh, no, Roland. I think you mixed up your info a tad. You cant reuse the
12 point headbolts. They're a one time use only. Once you torque them to
30 ft lbs, then 43 ft lbs and then make that "This cant be right" 180
degree final torque turn, the bolts are stretched and should not be
reused. I just paid $12 for a set of them. Not too bad. I thought I paid
more for the headbolts for my Scirocco when I built that motor a couple
years ago. Same bolts.
Im not gonna tell you that you cannot reuse the bolts. You can do
whatever you want but for my piece of mind, I replace them as the Bentley
advises.
I have never seen the 6-point head bolts.

Oh,another note on the headbolts, keep your washers. it seems that the
non-diesel head bolts come without the washers. (Maybe this was just a me
thing.) As I removed the head bolts in my GLi, I was tossing them in the
trash. Then when I got the new bolts, they were missing the washers. DOH!
Counterman said the diesel bolts come with the washers pressed on. its
the same bolt. Whatever. Just one more thing to mess with me on the never
ending week from hell. (Or was that year....)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and