Re: was oil pressure questions: now: Oil Coolers

On Tue, 13 Jan 98 08:10:33 EST snoalh@unx.sas.com writes:

>I am planning on adding an air oil cooler to my scirocco as well. Main
>reason:  the oil temp is too high when running on track.  I regularly
see
>oil temps in the 285+ .  Has anyone added
>the air oil cooler in addition to the stock coolant oil cooler?  That
would
>seem to be the optimal solution.

Actually, keeping the stock cooler with an added cooler would give less
results. I know the basic math says that 2 is better but the way the
stock cooler works will be adding heat from the coolant back into the
oil. An external oil cooler will cool the oil much more effectively. Mine
brought mine down from an average of 30F but also maintains a lower oil
temp on hot days while driving it hard. (Autox or whatever. Autox shows
the most heat gain in oil temp in my car.) So, if your oil is running
lets say 200F, using the stock cooler will add heat to the oil.
Now, as far as actually mounting up a dual cooler system to the car. It
would be pretty hard to do. Most all of the aftermarket or even the
factory coolers use the oil filter flange to mount a sandwich plate, or
as in the Euro GTi filter, its part of the oil filter flange. (Very
spendy.)
Id say toss the stock cooler and go with the external cooler.

>Damn, here I've gone from lurker mode to participant mode in the last
>couple of days ;-)...  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
>Arthur L. Hunt                       SAS Institute Inc
>snoalh@unx.sas.com                   (919) 677-8000 x6876

Yeah, what's up with that? People are gonna think your a regular or
something instead of just lurking...

Cool! A phone number I can crank call!  : )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and